Join Us in a Hive Inspection at a Mentoring Apiary
MABA Hive Inspections are a valuable opportunity for members to go through a hive with an experienced beekeeper at one of our Mentoring Apiaries in the Atlanta area. These events are free for MABA members. The non-member fee is $15.
Special thanks to Shannon Henson for creating this video from a MABA hive inspection led by Steve Esau on the Tapestry Community property in Ormewood Park on May 14, 2016. To view the video at YouTube, click here.
How to sign up for a hive inspection
- Look at the list of available dates in the chart below and pick a date when you would like to join an inspection.
- Click on the link to register.
If you need any help in signing up for an inspection or if you have any questions, please contact Linda Tillman, the hive inspection program director at HiveInspections@metroatlantabeekeepers.org
General Information and Rules
- Cost – MABA members may participate in hive inspections FREE of charge. Non-members may participate for a fee of $15 paid by making a donation via our website by clicking here.
- Registration – Each inspection is limited to ten participants. If the event is full you may email the leader and asked to be placed on a waiting list.
- Cancellation – If you have registered for an inspection and are unable to attend, please contact the leader of the inspection immediately by email so that a person on the waiting list can be added to that inspection. In the event of inclement weather (rain or temperatures too low to open the hive), the hive inspection may be cancelled. If the inspection is cancelled, participants will be notified by email or telephone by inspection leader along with a rescheduled date and time.
- Liability – Each participant must sign a waiver of liability on the part of Metro Atlanta Beekeeper’s Association and the inspection leader.
- Rules – You must must observe all rules during the inspection.
- Equipment/Clothing – You must wear protective clothing to the hive inspection, otherwise you will not be allowed to enter into the inspection area. The required protective gear consists of one of the following:
- Full bee suit with attached veil, along with closed-toe shoes and socks, and gloves
- Bee jacket with attached veil, long pants, closed-toe shoes and socks, and gloves
- Bee veil, light colored shirt with long sleeves, long pants, closed-toe shoes and socks, and gloves
- These requirements apply to children and adults.
- Please bring your own drinking water.
Hive inspections take place in several locations around greater Atlanta:
Blue Heron Nature Preserve 4055 Roswell Rd. Atlanta, GA 30342
Chastain Park Conservancy 4001 Powers Ferry Rd NW Atlanta, GA 30342
East Atlanta / Tapestry Gardens & Preserve 909 Walker Ave SE Atlanta, GA 30316Old Rucker Park 900 Rucker Road, Alpharetta, GA 30004
Morningside Community Garden 670 Hillpine Drive Northeast Atlanta, Georgia, United States 30306
Lost Corner Preserve 7300 Brandon Mill Road Sandy Springs, GA 30328