Join Us in a Hive Inspection at a Mentoring Apiary
As a member of the Metro Atlanta Beekeepers Association you may participate in hive inspections with knowledgeable beekeepers
at no extra charge. Others can participate for $15/event. A learning
opportunity with hands on experience like this is invaluable.
Special thanks to Shannon Henson for creating this video from a MABA hive inspection led by Steve Esau on the
Tapestry Community property in Ormewood Park on May 14, 2016. To view the video at YouTube,
How to sign up for a hive inspection
- Look at the list of available dates in the chart below and pick a date when you would like to join an inspection.
- Click on the name of the person doing the inspection that day. This opens an email to that person.
- The subject line of your email should read “Hive Inspection” and the DATE of the inspection you are requesting.
- The body of your email should include include the following information:
Also, please indicate whether you attended the most recent short course and whether or not this is your first hive inspection.
If you will be registering for more than one person, please duplicate this information for each attendee.
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Membership status (member or non member)
- The inspector will notify you that you are signed up for the inspection and give you further directions and instructions.
If you need any help in signing up for an inspection or if you have any questions,
please contact Steve Esau, the hive inspection program director at firstname.lastname@example.org
|07/10/18||9:30||Cindy Hodges||hodgeshoney@gmail||770-394-5051||Brook Run Park - Dunwoody|
|07/21/18||10:00||Gina Gallucci||ginag@mindspring||404-467-7932||Blue Heron Nature Preserve|
|08/18/18||10:00||Gina Gallucci||ginag@mindspring||404-467-7932||Blue Heron Nature Preserve|
General Information and Rules
- Cost - You may participate in hive inspection FREE of charge if you are either a 2018 MABA paid member or attendee
of the 2018 Short Course. Non-members or those who did not attend the 2018 Short Course may participate for a fee of $15.
- Registration - Each inspection is limited to 10 (ten) participants. Although you may attend more than one hive inspection,
the opportunity to participate is limited. Therefore, priority will be given to first time participants. Registrations must
be made in advance.
- Cancellation - If you have registered for an inspection and are unable to attend, please contact the leader of the
inspection immediately by email so that a person on the waiting list can be added to that inspection. In the event of
inclement weather (rain or temperatures too low to open the hive), the hive inspection may be cancelled. If the inspection
is cancelled, participants will be notified by email or telephone by inspection leader along with a rescheduled date and time.
- Liability - Each participant must sign a waiver of liability on the part of Metro Atlanta Beekeeper’s Association and the
- Rules - You must must observe all rules during the inspection.
- Equipment/Clothing - You must wear at least the minimum required clothing to the hive inspection, otherwise you will not
be allowed to enter into the inspection area. The minimum required clothing is:
Participants may choose to wear full bee suits or bee jackets with attached hats and veils with long pants, closed shoes,
and socks. These requirements apply to children and adults.
- closed shoes
- long pants
- long sleeved, light-colored shirt
- beekeeper hat and veil
- You should bring your own drinking water.
Hive inspections take place in several locations around greater Atlanta:
Blue Heron Nature Preserve
4055 Roswell Rd.
Atlanta, GA 30342
Chastain Park Conservancy
4001 Powers Ferry Rd NW
Atlanta, GA 30342
Dunwoody Nature Center
5343 Roberts Drive
Dunwoody, Georgia 30338
East Atlanta/Tapestry Preserve
909 Walker Ave SE
Atlanta, GA 30316